Posted in Sewing

Caitlin’s Bridal Accessories

I can’t believe my friend Caitlin got married almost two years ago already. I was so honored when she asked me to be a bridesmaid and was even more excited when she let me make her veil and sash.

The above collage features all the inspiration photos she sent me. I loved the short, layered look of what she was going for and couldn’t wait to get started. However, I hate cutting tulle because it’s always so hard to get a straight edge on it so I was thrilled when I came across a ready made veil at A.C. Moore for only a few dollars that already had the look that Caitlin wanted. I had Caitlin take a measurement of how long she wanted it and since the veil I had bought was a little too long I shortened it from the top because I didn’t want to lose the nice pearlized edge. I also knew the embellishments would be covering the top edge so this cut down a lot of work on having to fight with my serger and finish off the raw edge of the tulle myself. All the loose rhinestones I used were Swarovski and the rhinestone leaf shaped trim came from M & J Trimming. I think the feathers came from a trimming shop in the garment district that has since closed.

13332748_10101804447983832_4161434669799939108_n

I was pretty pleased with how it turned out and thought it looked great in Caitlin’s hair on the day of.

13325465_10101804448787222_7741224837514587062_n

I also made a sash for Caitlin. I found a really inexpensive kit on Etsy from the shop Amazing Appliques where all I pretty much had to do was sew an applique to some pre-cut satin ribbon. In the pictures of her dress Caitlin had sent me, her dress looked white, but according to the shop it was ivory. So I ordered a kit with ivory ribbon and it didn’t look exactly how I had hoped but I went for it anyway. I backed the applique with some felt before applying it to the ribbon because I was afraid it would be too flimsy without it. After it was done, I mailed it off to Caitlin, still afraid that the color of the ribbon was wrong. Luckily, Caitlin loved it. And I think the color of the ribbon compliments her blonde hair.

13336006_10101804448642512_7602774660133431723_n

This is me helping her into her dress on the big day.

13315252_10101804442030762_2033469411354688690_n

Isn’t she stunning?! I think her photographer (Captiva Photography) did such a great job.

Posted in DIY Tutorials

Fabric Covered Shoe Box

Saturday night I sat down to tape together a PDF sewing pattern and watch “Say Yes to the Dress.” Then I went into the junk closet for something and found a shoe box I had been saving because I thought it was good quality. I immediately switched over to crafting something out of said shoe box because my mind wanders a mile a minute and I can’t stick to one thing for very long. This led to me digging through my remnants of fabric and so on and so forth. In the end, all of this mad crafting resulted in this:

DSC_0123

(Please ignore the mess in the background. Shooting photos in a studio apartment is very hard.)

The supplies you need for this project are:

  • Sturdy shoe box
  • Fabric (Measure to make sure you have enough to cover your shoe box)
  • Scissors
  • Ruler
  • Chalk
  • Mod Podge
  • Trim (optional)

DSC_0108

DSC_0110

 

Place the top (or bottom, depending on which end you are working on) of the box on the fabric, making sure there is enough on all ends to cover the sides, and trace. Then, measure the height of the sides and add about 1/2″ to those measurements to fold over the edges of the box. In the end, you should have a piece of fabric that looks like this:

DSC_0113

(Unfortunately this is where my process photos end because I got so excited to finish this I neglected taking photos of each step. So hopefully words will do for the rest of this post.)

I then applied a thin coat of Mod Podge to the center of the fabric where I outlined the top (or bottom) and then placed the box on top accordingly. Do your best to make sure there are no bubble or creases. Then I applied a thin coat of Mod Podge to all sides and placed the fabric on top, again doing my best to make sure there are no bubble or creases. (I used a brocade so I still wound up with a lot of bubbles because I think the fabric seized up but it added a nice texture to it overall so it still worked out.) When it comes to the corners, tuck the raw edges in to get a nice, clean finish.

DSC_0120

Wait a half hour to an hour for that coat to dry. Then apply a top coat over the fabric and let that dry. The last coat I applied was on the inside of the box, on top of the fabric I had folded over the edge. I decided not to fold the raw edges over on the inside because I didn’t want it to become too thick and not be able to get the top of the box over the bottom anymore. With Mod Podge coating the raw edge, it shouldn’t fray and since it’s on the inside no one will see it!

DSC_0135

I decided the box needed a little something more. So I added some lace from my stash by applying a thin coat of Mod Podge to the bottom edge of the box top and then placed the lace on top. I used clothes pins to keep the lace in place as it dried. Once that coat was dry, I applied a top coat over the lace.

DSC_0116

For now, I think I will use this to hold some odds and ends in. But this project could also come in handy if you need a card box for a wedding or a shower. Just add a slit to the top using an X-acto knife.